Central Oregon Weekend Planner – Jan. 17-19, 2020.
Here is our Central Oregon weekend planner, created each week to showcase events throughout Central Oregon!
Friday, Jan. 17
Après Ski Bash: Scott Pemberton Band @ Mt. Bachelor
- FRI – Another Winter approaches, and another truly fantastic lineup of Free Monthly Friday Concerts is revealed and again, it’s aim is clear; to satisfy your body & soul! As always, these concerts are 100% free, all ages are most welcome. On show nights, Season Pass Holders will get $1 beverage discounts at The Commons Cafe until 8:00 p.m.
Author Event @ Roundabout Books in Bend
- FRI – In conversation with poets Kake Huck and Peter Lovering. A masterful collection of poetry about the Italian city written with a twist — each poem is a single sentence. Kate Huck is a desultory poet whose most recent publications include work on Gyroscope Review and the anthology, Last Call: The Anthology of Beer, Wine, and Spirit Poetry. Her current role as carer doesn’t give Huck time for Italian travel, so she makes do with occasional visits to the canal inside the Las Vegas casino, The Venetian. Huck will be joined with local poet Peter Lovering to discuss poetry and the art of prose.
Prohibition Party @ The High Desert Museum
- FRI – The roaring ‘20s are back! And it’s time to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of Prohibition in the High Desert. Join us for live music, Charleston lessons by Bend Lindy Hop, signature cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, a ritzy costume contest (come dressed in 1920s attire), photo booth and far-out trivia to make your head spin! This joint will be the cat’s meow! This event is for ages 21 and older.
Shotski Building Workshop @ Mt. Bachelor
- FRI – Are you in need of the perfect Après shot-shooting device for you and your friends? We’ll be hosting a workshop on how to create the ultimate shotskis on Friday, January 17th. We’ll have all the materials and instructions you need!
Saturday, Jan. 18
Backcountry Fest @ McMenamins Old St. Francis School
- SAT – Hefty, powerful, bold. BIG. However you describe high-gravity beers, these extraordinary brews are intensely flavorful – and we’ll be sampling plenty of them, plus unique ciders from Pacific NW breweries and cideries. And you’ll definitely want to try a series of ten collaboration beers by McMenamins brewers & friends. Linger by the outdoor fire, listen to live music and taste the night away.
Backcountry Fest @ Hoodoo
- SAT – Formerly known as Tele-Fest, Backcountry Fest is a celebration of free-heel skiing. We’ll have races, demos, races, a costume contest and samples from Three Creeks Brewing of Sisters. A great time for Nordic skiers and those who want to try free-heel skiing, but aren’t sure where to start.
Cascades Wedding Show @ the Riverhouse Convention Center
- SAT – Mark your calendars and call your ‘besties’ because the wildly popular one-day Cascades Wedding Show will return to the Riverhouse on the Deschutes Convention Center on January 18, 2020 10 am – 3 pm. The Cascades Wedding Show is the largest, most comprehensive bridal show in Central Oregon.
Crater Lake Tour
- SAT – Experience Oregon’s only National Park with a professional naturalist guide. Departing Bend, Oregon, we’ll make our way up the south flank of old Mt. Mazama to the rim encircling one of the world’s most stunning bodies of water! With snowshoes strapped to our feet, we’ll course our way along the volcanic rim for incredible views down to Crater Lake. Fantastic memories are created when taking in the depth of the lake’s blue, white snow, evergreen trees, and the blue sky while the guide unfurls the area’s geology, hydrology, and human history. Wanderlust Tours will provide a tasty deli-lunch prior to heading back to Bend.
Hidden Gems of Southeast Oregon @ Deschutes Library – Redmond
- SAT – Explore the rarely seen natural wonders on your public lands with photographer Mark Darnell. Photographer Mark Darnell presents a collection of large, museum-quality prints and describes how the exploration of our public lands in southeast Oregon can reveal more than we ever dreamed. Find out the distinction between human vision and the photographic process. Come learn more about this intriguing corner of our state with maps and geologic information. Mark’s photographs are on display at the Redmond Library through the end of March.
Nokian Tire Scavenger Hunt @ Mt. Bachelor
- SAT – Keep your eyes peeled for the elusive Green Tire which will be hiding somewhere on the mountain on Saturday, January 18th! We will be posting clues on our Instagram throughout the day, and if you are the lucky one to track down the tire, you’ll win a full set of tires from Nokian! Get your search on!.
Snowcation Adventure Weekend Package
- SAT – Wanderlust Tours and Brasada Ranch have partnered to create a Snowcation Adventure Weekend Package. Our Naturalist Guides will take you on a snow camping adventure in the Cascade Mountain Range. We’ll provide all the necessary gear and instruction, guests bring their own warm clothing and sense of adventure.
Stoller Family Estate Wine Paring Weekend @ Brasada Ranch
- SAT – We’ve partnered with Stoller Family Estate to bring you a weekend of legacy wines, fine dining, wine education, and a meet & greet with Kyle Stoller. Whether joining us for the three-course pairing dinner on Saturday or for the whole weekend, start planning your wine pairing weekend with Stoller Wine today!
Sunday, Jan. 19
Coca-Cola Floatski @ Mt. Bachelor
- SUN – We’re excited to offer free Coca-Cola Floats on Sunday, January 19th from 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.! We will be doing this in Cocoa’s near The Corner Bar, or on the West Village patio if weather allows! Come enjoy some delicious floats at the end of your ski day.
Friday Night Music Series @ Hoodoo
- FRI (through March 27) – Hoodoo is excited to announce a full line-up of talented musicians from around the Northwest playing 5-8 pm every Friday night from Jan. 3 – March 27, 2020. Slide, ride and dance at Central Oregon’s only night skiing and riding destination.
Military Mondays @ Hoodoo
- MON (winter) – Hoodoo is proud to give back to our military by offering 2-FOR-1 lift tickets to current and former veterans each Monday with a valid military ID. Hoodoo does not offer any discount ski tickets during Peak Pricing periods. Peak Pricing periods include Winter Break, MLK Weekend, Winter Carnival, and Presidents’ Day Weekend.
Paulina Lake Lodge & Cabins
- FRI-SUN (Winter) – Experience the magic of Paulina Lake in winter! The lodge restaurant and cabins open for winter on Dec. 20th – YAY! Snowmobile, snowshoe or take the snow cat up to the lodge for their prime rib dinner! Be sure to make a reservation!!
Snowshoe With A Ranger @ Mt. Bachelor
- Weekends through March 29th – Join a naturalist on a snowshoe tour at Mt. Bachelor! Learn about alpine environments and the natural features of the Cascade Range. Wear snow boots and warm winter clothing. Snowshoes will be provided. No previous experience is required. Snowshoe tours are FREE, however, donations to support tours and other Discover Your Forest programs are greatly appreciated. Tour size is limited, so first come first served. Minimum age is 8 years old. Advanced reservations required for parties of 6 or more.
Trails & Treats @ Brasada Ranch
- Each Saturday this winter – We’re not sure what the treat is, the homemade Brasada s’mores and hot chocolate or the horseback ride to Spirit Rock. No matter your preference, join Brasada Trails every Saturday from 1pm – 3pm this winter for trail rides to Spirit Rock where you’ll roast s’mores over the open fire pit and sip hot cocoa while enjoying the breathtaking views as far as the eye can see.
Holiday Light Show @ Sunriver Resort
- Through Jan. 24 – Grab a Hot Toddy or Hot Cocoa at The Lodge and join us in the Back Yard for our NEW Holiday Light Show, happening 3 times every evening. Enjoy your favorite holiday songs as thousands of lights dance to the beat. Shows will be between 15 and 20 minutes long and will rotate through a selection of songs with a mix of kids and adult favorites.
Tubing Hill @ the Sunriver Homeowners Aquatics & Recreation Center (SHARC)
- Through Mar. 1 – SHARC’s Winter Tubing Hill is a seasonal activity that includes three runs of varying steepness.
BendBroadBand’s Jazz At The Oxford
- ONGOING – From October 2019 through March 2020, Oxford Hotel Bend and the Central Oregon community will welcome an incredible and diverse lineup of world-class artists over five separate weekends.
- ONGOING – The Volcanic Theatre and Pub hosts live music that’ll move you. Check their calendar for live theatre and movies as well!
A Starry Night At The Observatory
- ONGOING – Come to the Oregon Observatory at Sunriver at night and view a guided constellation tour with experts.
Currently Playing Movies
- LIMITED ENGAGEMENTS:
- Saturday, Jan. 18
- BECOMING NOBODY @ Tin Pan Theater
- Sunday, Jan. 19
- AN AMERICAN IN PARIS @ Old Mill 16
- HONEY BOY @ Tin Pan Theater
- Tuesday, Jan. 21
- IN SEARCH OF CHOPIN @ Sisters Movie House
- Wednesday, Jan. 22
- AN AMERICAN IN PARIS @ The Old Mill 16
- BECOMING NOBODY @ Tin Pan Theater
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE @ The Old Mill 16
- Thursday, Jan. 23
- BLIND EYES OPENED @ The Old Mill 16
- COTA Movie Night: VISION @ McMenamins Old St. Francis School
- Saturday, Jan. 18
- NEW RELEASES:
- REGULAR RELEASES:
- THE ADDAMS FAMILY (2019)
- A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
- FORD V FERRARI
- FROZEN II ( ♪ sing-a-long ♬ version)
- FROZEN II
- JOJO RABBIT
- JOKER (2019)
- JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL
- JUST MERCY
- KNIVES OUT
- LIKE A BOSS
- THE LIGHTHOUSE
- LITTLE WOMEN (2019)
- PARASITE (2019)
- SPIES IN DISGUISE
- THREE CHRISTS
- UNCUT GEMS
- UNDERWATER (2020)
- NEXT WEEK’S PREMIERS:
- Premiering Thursday evening, Jan. 23:
Click here for most movie times/theaters OR choose from the following:
- Fathom Events
For a more comprehensive list of local events, check out the event calendars maintained by following:
The Source Weekly | Hack Bend | My Central Oregon | Visit Central Oregon | Visit Bend
The local chambers of commerce maintain event calendars as well:
Bend | La Pine | Madras | Prineville | Redmond | Sisters |
As do some of the larger resorts:
Black Butte Ranch (see “Event Calendar” @ top of page) | Brasada Ranch | Pronghorn | Sunriver
For events elsewhere in Oregon, head to Travel Oregon’s Event Calendar.