Central Oregon Weekend Planner – Oct. 18-20, 2019.
Here is our Central Oregon weekend planner, created each week to events throughout Central Oregon!
Friday, Oct. 18
Fall Colors Hike – Metolius Preserve
- FRI – Join the Deschutes Land Trust and Carol Wall for a fall colors hike at one of our flagship Preserves–the Metolius Preserve. Hike next to Lake Creek and around the northern portion of the Preserve to learn about ponderosa pines and the white-headed woodpeckers that depend on them. Enjoy the brilliant yellow of changing larch trees, then take a break by the creek and hear how native salmon are making their return. Registration is required.
Local’s Night – Fill Don’s Truck!
- FRI – Come to the Artists’ Gallery Sunriver to enjoy light appetizers and a glass of wine or local micro beer while viewing the creations of some of Centrals Oregon’s other talented artists, many of whom will be on hand to discuss their works. We will have live music, a food drive, and raffle prizes (bring non-perishable food items to receive raffle tickets). Our goal is to “Fill Don’s Truck” with food that will go to Share & Care, to help feed those living with food insecurity in our community.
The Chase Baird Group @ McMenamins
- FRI – Part experimental rocker, part classical romantic and part hard-bop devotee, saxophonist and composer Chase Baird has rapidly become one the most celebrated and compelling jazz stylists of his generation.
Oregon Archaeology Month
- FRI – Learn more about Oregon’s rich cultural history at Smith Rock State Park’s Oregon Archaeology lecture series, every Friday evening in October. The presentations take place 7 – 8:30 p.m. at the park’s Welcome Center. This Friday, Jim Gardner, President Emeritus of Lewis and Clark College, will present The Tribal History of the Oregon Paiutes, including the Story of Animal Village (Smith Rock Area).
COBKA Beginner’s Bee School With Dr. Dewey Caron
- FRI-SAT – Learn how to start beekeeping in Central Oregon. Topics will include the life cycle of the hive, mites, how to get through the summer and winter and what you need to get started.
Sisters Festival of Books
- FRI-SUN –The Sisters Festival of Books is a three-day celebration of the literary culture of Central Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, featuring local, regional, and national authors and occurring across multiple venues. Visit the official website for more info!
Lower Deschutes Whitewater Kayaking Camp
- FRI-SUN – Becoming a developed whitewater kayaker can be hard as it requires experienced partners, specialized equipment, and lots of time and practice. Well, we can offer you all of those things and more on our three-day, raft-supported Lower Deschutes Whitewater Kayaking Camp. Let our expert guides lead you down class II & III+ whitewater then host your camping experience once off.
The Canterville Ghost @ Cascades Theatrical Company
- FRI-SUN – Learn how to start beekeeping in Central Oregon. Topics will include the life cycle of the hive, mites, how to get through the summer and winter and what you need to get started.
Saturday, Oct. 19
11th Annual Carving For Kids
- SAT –Visit the southwest corner of the Box Factory in Bend from 10 am – 5 pm where Mountain Star will be selling clean pumpkins for carving, pre-carved pumpkins of various designs, and even custom carved pumpkins with local business logos for the office or storefront. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to MountainStar Family Relief Nursery.
Bend Boulder Bash
- SAT – Bend Rock Gym is proud to present the return of the Annual Bend Boulder Bash series. Central Oregon’s premier bouldering competition series is back, and for the first time ever hosted in BRG’s NEW West Gym!
Central Oregon Symphony – Fall Concert Series @ Bend High School
- SAT – The Central Oregon Symphony is pleased to present the accomplished Brazilian pianist, Ednaldo Borba, performing Brahms’ Concerto for Piano No. 1 on our 2019-2020 opening concert. Borba recently completed his DMA at the University of Oregon and has numerous competition wins and orchestral appearances to his credit.
Fall Foliage Workshop with Bend Photo Tours
- SAT – There is no question that fall colors are a force to be reckoned with in Central Oregon, and we can show you the best places to find those epic colors! Join us for an epic day along the McKenzie Pass where we will stop by some waterfalls, trek along the river and take in all the stunning leaf changes!
Harvest Fest @ St. Thomas Academy
- SAT – This fundraiser for St. Thomas Academy includes dinner and live music. Visit the official site for ticket information.
The Science (and Scientist) Of Light @ Sunriver Nature Center
- SAT – From the ancient Greeks to present-day science, light has played a key role in helping man understand our universe. Retired scientist and electronic and semiconductor engineer, Dr. Gerhard Beenen, will track the evolution of our understanding of light from the works of Copernicus and Galileo to those of 20th-century scientists such as Einstein and Hubble. This lecture will conclude with an exploration of how light enables today’s technologies and continues to provide insight into the nature of our universe.
Swinging With The Stars @ The Tower Theatre
- SAT – Central Oregon Daily, proudly presents “Swinging with the Stars“, a benefit for Central Oregon Sparrow Clubs.
Witness to Wartime: The Painted Diary of Takuichi Fujii
- SAT – This new exhibit at the High Desert Museum examines the forced incarceration of 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry in America during World War II through the eyes of Artist Takuichi Fujii – who was among those imprisoned.
Sunday, Oct. 20
Art In Nature: Take Me To The River
- SUN – Join Wanderlust Tours for our own local Take Me to the River – Deschutes style. We will share the inspiration of the natural world through a canoe journey down the Deschutes River, plus the multi-generational music stories of 3 local bands – their mentorship, music, and motivations.
Fall Round-Up, Hoedown Rodeo @ Rockin Dave’s Backstage Lounge
- SUN – Celebrate Autumn with rodeo games, a farm-to-table BBQ dinner, cocktails, live music, and more at Rockin’ Dave’s Backstage Lounge on Greenwood Ave. This event benefits Locavore.
Old St. Francis Pumpkin Carving
- SUN – Carve a pumpkin and enjoy fresh apple cider, kids Halloween movies, donuts and more! The entry of $15 per person includes a pumpkin of your choice, carving kit, fresh apple cider, and donuts. Costumes encouraged!
Scaregrounds @ Deschutes County Expo Center
- FRI-SAT (THROUGH NOV. 2) – Scare yourself silly at three separate attractions at the Deschutes County Expo Center starting this Friday and running each subsequent Friday & Saturday until November 2.
- THROUGH OCT 31 – Head to the pumpkin patch at DD Ranch, free admission and parking.
BendBroadBand’s Jazz At The Oxford
- ONGOING – From October 2019 through March 2020, Oxford Hotel Bend and the Central Oregon community will welcome an incredible and diverse lineup of world-class artists over five separate weekends.
- ONGOING – The Volcanic Theatre and Pub hosts live music that’ll move you. Check their calendar for live theatre and movies as well!
A Starry Night At The Observatory
- ONGOING – Come to the Oregon Observatory at Sunriver at night and view a guided constellation tour with experts.
Currently Playing Movies
- LIMITED ENGAGEMENTS:
- Saturday, Oct. 19
- WESTERN STARS @ Regal Old Mill 16
- Sunday, Oct. 20
- TETON GRAVITY RESEARCH: ROADLESS @ The Tower Theatre
- Monday, Oct. 21
- QT8: QUENTIN TARANTINO, THE FIRST EIGHT @ Regal Old Mill 16
- Tuesday, Oct. 22
- STORIES OF OUR WATERSHEDS @ McMenamins Old St. Francis Theater
- Wednesday, Oct 23
- WESTERN STARS @ Regal Old Mill 16
- Thursday, Oct. 24
- Saturday, Oct. 19
- NEW RELEASES:
- REGULAR RELEASES:
- NEXT WEEK’S PREMIERS:
Click here for most movie times/theaters OR choose from the following:
- Fathom Events
For a complete list of events in the area for the entire month, please visit Central Oregon Events.